Sunday, July 20, 2008

Whole Leg Bandage

Here is a sequence of photos showing how we changed Lady's bandages.  It starts with the large padded bandage already removed.

The non-adherent (3" x 8") Telfa bandages we ordered from J.R.S. Medical.  They had them for a reasonable price and their shipping was prompt.  We couldn't find any place locally to purchase pads that large.  Smaller ones would have been ok but you use them up so much faster.

We got the 6" wide brown non-steril gauze from our vet to start with and then my husband happened to be going through Minnesota on I-94 and stopped in Melrose, MN at the Stearns Vet Outlet and purchased a bunch from them.

At the vet's suggestion, I made up 4 large padded bandages.  I made them from padded leg bandages I purchased at Blain's Farm & Fleet.  It is like polyester quilt batting.  I put three layers together to get enough padding.  Then I made a cover for it (like a pillowcase) out of flannel.  I tried regular fabric but the flannel was softer and also kinda stuck to itself so it was easier to bandage.  After each bandage change, we would take the flannel cover off and wash the whole bandage.  I tried it in the washer, but it was too hard on them so I washed them in my grandma's old washtub outside instead.  I used a gentle laundry soap and then had a bleach rinse.  To help them dry faster, I would just put them in the washer for the spin cycle only and then hang them up to dry.  At first, we used two bandages at a time, but now we are only using one at a time on her upper leg.


No comments: